January 6th, 2010

The New Sheetal

Before I launch into this post, since this is not the usual topic, if you are not interested in hearing about other peoples babies and seeing how cute they are, turn back now. You have been warned.

Say Hello to Sora Sheetal

10:11pm, Monday 4th January, 2010
3.190 kg. 51 cm tall.

That’s the birth date and key stats of my little baby girl. It was a long wait and a lot of hard work from her mother Chiho, who I now have a new found respect for after seeing first hand what it takes to bring a new human being into the world.

Both Chiho and our little baby are doing great and should be joining me back home shortly. Meanwhile I have “Dad tasks” to do such as building baby beds. I think this is some kind of right of passage. Feeling up to the challenge though.

Before you ask, no, we have not chosen a name yet. We have a few names on the shortlist but will be waiting to decide for a few more days, so for now let her just be known as the new Sheetal. I will update this post when we decide.

UPDATE : We have named her Sora, which is the Japanese word for “sky”. In Japanese kanji we write her name with a single character, 空, which I think has a nice beautiful simplicity to it. The name is to match her hazel blue eyes and it just seemed like a good feel for her once we saw her face and got to know her the last few days. It is not a particularly common name and can be used for boys or girls generally.

Its great to be able to call her by name finally!

I don’t really have much more to say other than she is about the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, and both me and Chiho are over-the-moon happy. She will be our half Japanese, half Australian wonder-child, we are both looking forward to the ride and I couldn’t have a better partner to do it with.

Let’s see how we go once the sleepless nights kick in.

Like any good parent of the new decade, I have already taken hundreds of photos and feel the urge to share them across multiple social platforms.

This post is a start, but still deciding how to do it without pushing the baby limit.

Be Sociable, Share!

14 Comments on “The New Sheetal”

1. Shimada said at 1:19 am on January 6th, 2010:

Congrats! For both of you and Chiho-san. Am so glad to hear such a fantastic news. Let me update about new Sheetal’s name!

2. Richard said at 10:55 am on January 6th, 2010:

Congratulations.. i feel it is my duty to say it across multiple social and not-social networks. great to hear Chiho is a champion and doing well! all the best for the bed building.

3. Asela said at 11:30 pm on January 6th, 2010:

Congratulations Mike. She’s the cutest!
    That yawn brings back memories btw :)

4. Mike Sheetal said at 2:11 am on January 7th, 2010:

Update: we have named her Sora, the Japanese word for sky.

5. Richard said at 6:36 am on January 7th, 2010:

Welcome Sora, congrats Mike!

6. Meghan said at 2:56 am on January 8th, 2010:

What a wonderful name. I agree—simple but evocative. Congrats. Keep posting baby photos. I am not one to turn back from adorable, adoring baby posts.

Meghan

7. yanasawako said at 11:25 pm on January 8th, 2010:

Congratulations!
    I want to say it to you, Chiho and baby.

I’m Sawako.
    When Cam’s birthday in Nakameguro, we met there.

I delivered a girl in August, 09, too.

8. Mike Sheetal said at 11:37 pm on January 8th, 2010:

Hi Sawako, thats great, congratulations to you too. I heard from Cam that you had your baby. Another cutie.

9. Jason said at 10:53 pm on January 11th, 2010:

Once you’re done with the baby bed, we’ll get you started on the Ducopy, and in a couple months Princesses, Bubble Bath, and then closer to a year you will graduate to Jolly Jumper and a host of new and surprisingly fun activities.

Congrats to you both and congrats to Sora for picking such great parents.

10. Koba said at 3:41 pm on January 13th, 2010:

So Cawaiii!!!
    Congratulations Mike!

11. Mike Sheetal » Blog Archive » Top 10 UltraSuperNew Projects of 2009 said at 12:04 pm on January 16th, 2010:

[...] was originally going to be a new year post, but was delayed because of some happy distractions for me personally. So now we have an even better day to release this, the 3rd Anniversay of [...]

12. Andrew Shuttleworth said at 12:15 am on January 20th, 2010:

Had no idea Sora was in the works. Big congrats. A great start to the new year and the 2010s.

13. Mike Sheetal said at 12:32 am on January 20th, 2010:

Thanks Andrew, We’ve been in stealth mode on this venture for the last 9 months ;)

14. Nizam said at 5:58 pm on August 26th, 2010: